Thursday, February 9, 2017
Monday, February 6, 2017
January was a strong month for Toastmasters. Although it started off with the ending of Winter Break, so much has happened this month:
- Even during winter break, while most members were out of town, the members still available met up for a few close-knit meetups. The holiday spirit of family was alive and well.
- Once the semester started back up, new members joined our primary communications portal, the UT Sciences Toastmasters Facebook Group, and the group reached 800 members!
- One of the club’s veteran members, Tolani, gave her farewell speech, highlighting some of her most treasured life advices. We wish Tolani all the best and hope she visits whenever she gets the opportunity!
Friday, January 20, 2017
Happy 2017! The first post this year aims to recap some of the memories since the last post:
- Open House: The club hosted and open house where we were treated to speeches by multiple DTMs, as well as a quick movie pitch for the Austin Film Festival.
- Competitions: Two members of UTSTM, Jake LeVieux and Anna Yu, represented the club at the Area level, where they won in both Tall Tales and Evaluations. Anna went on to compete at the District level.
- Collaborations: UTSTM fostered its relationship with another fellow club, the Central Austin Toastmasters. Members from UTSTM assisted their competitions, went to meetings as guest speakers, or just attended. The opposite also happened, with Central Austin Toastmasters members participating in numerous UTSTM activities.
- Many meetings: Some highlights include first speeches by Jonathan, Lily, Kareem, Egleide, and more; a spooky table topics session for Halloween; a meeting themed around the election; a member earning her Advanced Communicator Bronze achievement (Tolani), another becoming both a Competent Communicator and a Competent Leader (Sarah), and another became a Competent Communicator (Luis); and the club earned many new members!
Here’s to a great 2017!
Tuesday, September 27, 2016
Address: 2201 Speedway, Austin, TX 78712.
Parking: Please plan your transportation accordingly due to the on-going construction in the area. There are though garages close by (Brazos, San Jacinto).
Info: People who get ahead in life are those who can communicate effectively. UT Sciences Toastmasters will show you how to listen effectively, think on your feet and speak confidently. Come visit our Open House event and find out how Toastmasters can help you achieve your public speaking goals. Guests from all backgrounds, including undergrad, graduate, and non-students, are welcome.
Learn more about our organization:
Join our club Facebook group:
What is Toastmasters International?
Tuesday, August 2, 2016
Get your competitive spirit on for UT Sciences Toastmasters' Fall Speech Contest!
When: August 19, 2016 6.00pm-7.30pm
Where: SSB G1.310, Glenn Maloney Room
Contest Categories: Tall Tales (3-5 mins) and Evaluations (2-3 mins).
Eligibility: No experience required to participate in the contest, however, you must be a paid member of the club. You can participate in both categories if you wish.
Signing up: Please sign up on our club spreadsheet which can be found at bit.ly/UTSTMspeech
Tall Tales: The subject for the speech must be of a highly exaggerated, improbable nature and have a theme or plot. Speeches are 3-5 mins.
Evaluation: Contestants all listen to a 5- to 7-min speech by a test speaker, prepare or make notes for 5 minutes using materials of their choice, then each provide an evaluation of the test speaker. Speeches are 2-3 mins.